Twitterfeed

Friday, March 06, 2009

GOTH:GEEK

The last time I organised a night out to a club that was of the same scale as tonight it was 2007. My small gothic army gathered at the Intrepid Fox before invading Sin. A good time was had by all, despite the confusion over buses at the end and strangers in my home.

However, it seemed like a lifetime ago and my peers all agreed that another night like that was needed, so I arranged another one for tonight. World's end followed by Electric Ballroom. I searched for other decent goth/metal/rock nights but there weren't any convenient/had the right style/etc. So we are left with the classic World's end/Electric ballroom combo. This is not a bad thing but it is not original. Perhaps next time I shall be more adventurous, but then I run the risk of less people coming. Only the truely epic ones like that night in 2007 and tonight will be remember with that wistful nostalgia of 'that night at...that was a good night'.

Organising something on this scale is a tad like a military operation, with locations, timings and communications being the most important part. Some people are working late, some people not, some going to see 'Watchmen' (lucky gits) and some aren't, some can only come for a drink, some can only come for clubbing and so on.

Then fate throws me a fork in the road. In the form of the opportunity to become a Theatre reviewer. On the same day, at the same time, on the opposite side of the city.

Now, the magazine have stated that they are unlikely to employ someone they have to chase so I throw caution to the wind and say 'yes! I will review for you this friday!' So I am, THEN heading over to Camden for drinking and dancing. I have appointed my good friend Magnus to act in my stead as the nexus of my New Gothic Army until I arrive. This kind of recklessness is exactly the SAME sort of spirit I had back in 2007 when I invited ALL spheres of my life into one house for a party.

It is also, this spirit that I can already feel buzzing through my comrades, stirring itself up through texts and phonecalls, climbing upon itself as makeup is applied, corsetry fastened, new rocks scaled and best T-shirts worn. The tensing of muscles ready to headbang, jump and ROCK OUT!

So when i sit there, waiting for the curtain to rise in the theatre I shall lean back and sip a drink thinking

"Gandalf my old friend, this will be a night to remember."