Twitterfeed

Monday, February 16, 2004

FELLOWSHIP

I think it is important for me to state now that I seem to have taken a very 'preachy' tone in my posts, almost as if I have been trying to convert people or tell them what to do (as if I'm so much better). This is not my intent, the reason I take the tone I do is because I feel I am writing this for other people (Though whether anyone reads this is impossible to tell), the reason I cover the topics I do is because these are my thoughts and the conclusions I draw from them. I apologise if I have offended anyone. My only motive is to offer you insight into myself.

Perhaps the problem is, having arrived at the conclusions I have and walking the path I have chosen it brings me great joy and I want to share that with you all. I must remind myself that I came to this path not because anyone evangelised to me, but through my own self-discovery.

I have deleted the post I was going to write because it was more of the same. If this blog is really about me, then I should tell you about me. In my own words you should gain an insight into me. I began in the past, this is where I shall continue.

Having been a child story-teller, as I grew, adventure seemed further and further away. I looked at the characters in films, television and books with great awe and wished so hard in mmy heart that I could join them on their adventures. As a child I would dream about going on epic quests with my friends, facing danger and derring-do with them and coming through with a greater sense of fellowship.

It later occurred to me that it wasn't the danger, the epic quests, the thwarting of villains or the saving of damsels I really wanted. It was the sense of belonging, the sense of unbroken brotherhood with the people I cared about. But that is difficult to achieve. The result of a discussion with some close friends of mine was that fellowship comes through shared experiences, bonds are forged over time and not just with anyone. Such things cannot be forced.

I pondered how to achieve such cameraderie and I realised how rare it is. Think of how many people move through your life. Friends come and go, aquaintances fade in and out. But some stay with you a long time, for whatever reason. Those are the ones you have a bond with, even if you don't understand it. I recalled that there are a few people with whom I have not lost contact, these are the true members of the fellowship. If adventure were to call, these would be the few I would want by my side. I learnt therefore at a young age that friendship is something to treasure.
I thank you all for being my friends.

Take care,

Peat.