Twitterfeed

Thursday, February 12, 2004

Hello again!
I couldn't resist posting again more of my thoughts and ravings.

But where to begin? It occurs to me now that I have a public forum for my opinions I can use this for good, spreading a message of loving-kindness first to my friends in the hope that it wil spread further. Also this may become political from time to time.

For example, don't buy stuff from the following companies:

Esso-This is one that really gets me. With the world potnetially going down the toilet these people just don't care. They are potentially holding back this country's attempts to get greenhouse emmissions down by not doing ANYTHING towards stopping Climate change (Global warming as it's also known). It's not that they don't believe it's happening, they just DON'T CARE. They make more money from it.

Nestle-I'm sure by now you're aware of the evils of this company. I shan't go into them right now. It's a shame really since I like Yorkie bars.

Anyway, perhaps I should explain my life further. Born in the legendary 1984, life has basically been very good to me. I have no great reason to complain. But what makes me disappointed is that despite the wonderful praise people give me I feel I'm not that great. You wouldn't believe how many people think I'm a great guy! I feel I could do better and that is also what this blog is about.

For life is journey, and tales grow in the telling. This blog is about my life, a record of the days of our lives, a record of my journey to being the best Peat that I can be. I want to feel in myself that I am worthy of the praise I am given. That is a truely noble and heroic journey as I am sure you will agree.

So how did I arrive at such a task? For that we shall return to the backstory:
If, like me you were a child-storyteller. Enchanted by the notion of excitement and adventure (a jedi craves not these things) then growing up is difficult at times. For adventures seem to become more and more remote. There aren't really monsters under the bed, there isn't really a world of talking lions, dawn treaders and snow queens through the cupboard and no matter how hard you try and use the force, the remote control won't fly across the room into your hand.

What happened to the world? Has it always been like that and you become a 'grown up' when you finally give in that you're not going to have an adventure? I hope not, for all our sakes. Think of historical adventurers. The one that springs immediately to mind is Baron Munchausen. A grown man, a baron who had all sorts of improbable adventures (which of course nobody could call him a liar for as to do so would insult his noble standing). A film out at the moment is 'Big Fish' where fantastic adventures happened to Edward Bloom. Who is to say how this adventures really were. Ewan Macgregor (who plays the young Edward Bloom on his adventures) says that they ARE true, but just exagerrated to the point of blurring the line of fantasy and reality.

Is that then the answer? A matter of perspective? Should we all become like Don Quixote, imagining windmills are giants? That would be the extreme of course. But surely if we changed our perspective to one of adventure, even just a tad, surely everyday would be in some way exciting! In the same way I described playing 'make-believe' when you're a child, lets give it a more subtle try in our (supposedly) more grown up life. Something I said once which has stuck with me is "I'd rather have an eventfull day than a dull one". Surely 'eventfull' and 'dull' are matters of perspective. I've found that today has become far more interesting and it helped clear my mind as to how to act well to my friends. A lesson for us all perhaps if we feel our lives are dull and boring. They really aren't.

Take care,

Peat.