Twitterfeed

Thursday, April 22, 2004

EXAMS FTAUGH!

I haven't posted for a while and doesn't look like I'll post for a good deal of time after that as well for you see, exams are upon me. Not only are exams looming over the horizon like Great Cthulhu waking up but there are all the associated activities, stress, revision, tidying of my room numerous times, drawing for myself, drawing for other people, pretending that I've done enough for one day, loss of concentration, apathy about the subject, mad plans for what to do once the exams are over, I could go on...

What has occured to my friends and I is the fact that this has been happening at the same time of year for the last FIVE YEARS. Talk about punishment, and (again like Great Cthulhu rising from his sea prison) I never seem to be as prepared for it as I'd like. Exams in themselves are not so bad, sometimes when you get the right question which

a) You find interesting personally
b) Have revisied
c) Have revised enough about that you can write about it with some degree of clarity

They can be quite enjoyable. Some of best work has come from those few hours scribbling away in the exam hall but it's all the baggage, (ie the revision and the stress) which I despise. I always get really panicy before an exam, the day and night before; 'Have I done enough?' 'Should I do another practice question?' 'What if the trains are late?' 'What if there aren't any questions I can answer?'

Then I experience that strange moment of calm euphoria where I relax and remember that this isn't that important, if I fail at everything maybe I can go live in a monastary or work on a farm somewhere and be happy. Then the stress comes back with a sinking feeling in my stomach and then I go into the exam hall.

Why do they always put exams in the summer? So that I have to sit INDOORS and occassionally glance out the window at the sunshine, birds singing, green green grass and happiness and then return to whatever notes I have on my desk.

The consolation however is the aftermath, and this time I'm going to do my best to make it worth the effort. This time it's going to be different, this summer is going to be one to remember! I'm going to do thise things I said I would, I'm going to travel, see my mates and write my books and screenplays. Then when it's all over and I have to go back to uni I'll have had a blast. I hope you'll accompany me on a part of my journey this summer. See ya soon.

Rock and roll!

Peat.