Twitterfeed

Monday, April 05, 2004

FRAGRANT PEAT AND THE NICKNAMES

Aren't nicknames great? They remind me of how people see the world and what they associate with people. Nicknames can come from anywhere and throughout their life people will have many. So stick, some don't, but the most important thing is, one cannot give oneself a nickname. Many may find that a tad hypocritical, when I took the mantle, 'Peat' I chose it for the reason that it looks slightly cooler when you write it down and it doesn't sound any different than the conventional 'Pete'. I've been using it for so long now it seems strange to refer to myself as 'Peter' and nor do I think my friends think of me that way.

But why am I fragrant you ask? This comes down to people having the same name in the friendship groups I hang out with. With two 'Pete's in one group we both answered when someone called our name. The other Pete (for reasons I forget (sorry mate!) had the nickname 'Stinky' and so I was named 'fragrant Peat' to differentiate me from him. We now respectively answer to 'Stinky' and 'Fragrant'.

Within this group there are others with the same name, the Daves for example. One Dave is refered to sometimes as 'Jaffa' on account of his surname and (presumably) he like Jaffa cakes and rolls. Having too many Matts, there is 'Cookie Matt' (because he does the cooking) and 'Fluffy Matt' (I wasn't present for this one but I assume it's because he's a really nice guy).

Then there are ones related to the way people are. I was told stories this weekend of 'Ninja Tom' who had been training in martial arts since he was 8 by his father (and thus deserves the title) as opposed to 'Tom the Ninja' who merely WANTED to be a Ninja.

Crazy stuff and yet these names help us to remember. Not only people but anecdotes which colour our lives like a character sheet covers that half painted barbarian model from Heroquest you're using to represent you on a finely desgin cardboard dungeon in the Warhammer world.

So, nicknames, if you haven't got one, GET ONE! (Unless of course you're the only person in the area with your name, in which you don't NEED one. Feel happy everyone knows you as you and not some bizarre anecdote! he he he)

Take care,

Peat.