Twitterfeed

Wednesday, March 31, 2004

THE ZOMBIE METAPHOR

Reading an interview with Simon Pegg, the writer of 'SPACED' and set to star in the awesome looking 'Shaun of the Dead' he mentioned how zombies are a great metaphor for anything relentlessly annoying in life. Those weren't his exact words you understand, he said that they represented the plodding responsibilities of life after 30. But they could also represent, conformity, corporations, etc. Or, as social anthropologists will tell, you, mankind's fear of cannibalism allowed to run free.

But this got me thinking (something I do FAR too much of) and wondered, what a question such as:

"What do zombies mean to you?"

Would tell me about my friends and family. I plan to see 'Dawn of the Dead' tonight and I hope it is the gore filled splatterfest I hope it to be. But I don't intend to ask people afterwards the deeper meaning fo the film. There probably isn't one, and yet we find zombies so fascinating.

This is of course utter tosh. If I saw a horde of zombies running...sorry, shambling down the street towards me all that would run through my head would be fear for my life and maybe with a casual reference to fears of my own death. I might try to run home, probably have to fend off a few of the gruesome cadavers before I got to my front door, where I would probably break down my mate's door and unsheath his katana (not a metaphor!). I'd probably start to phone people then, and realise the wires had been cut...
"How can they cut the wires, they're animals!"
(Finally got a Bill Paxton quote into this stupid blog!)

Priorities change. So, if zombies were a metaphor for me, they'd probably be a reminder (a visual one as well) of my own mortality and to remember what's really important. Man, I am soooo pretentious.

"Game over man! Game over!"

Peat.