Twitterfeed

Tuesday, March 16, 2004

BACK TO REALITY
Coming back to work after an awesome weekend always puts me on a downer. Then people accusing you of having a messiah complex doesn't help. I'm not denying there is some truth to it, I accept blame that isn't mine sometimes, I try to be as loving and kind as I can (or do I just SAY that I do?), when trying to change me viewpoint to one of cause and effect (karma) I see all my actions as having long lasting consquences. I have an effect on the lives around me.

As seems to be the theme of this blog, I tread a fine line between cultivating my innate buddha-nature and becoming a self-centred person with a messiah complex.

Looking at my viewpoint the most obvious solution comes from the Lo-jong discipline (lo meaning mind and jong meaning train/form/soften) and that is this:

'Put responisibilty where it belongs'.

I feel I have only twice seen with diamond-like vision so far, one of them was when I told a friend who was blaming herself for things that weren't her fault and neglecting the ones that where: I said; 'Don't take responsibility for the things that aren't yours, and do for the things that are.' If only I'd take my own advice!

Clearly I am not the centre of the universe, I can control nothing except my own actions. More importantly is that I cannot control other people's reactions, no matter how good and pure my own are, they react also because of the way THEY are.

So I resolve to act with the best intentions, but I cannot put the sins of the world on my back, nor can I please everyone. What I have to do is ACCEPT everyone, or love everyone. Lama Surya das says it is possible to love even those people you do not like. I'm still working on that one!

Take care,

Peat.