Twitterfeed

Monday, March 29, 2004

Over the last weekend I've been trying to take the next step on the eightfold path. That of 'right speech'. To truely think before you speak is difficult, mostly people just speak and listen vaguely, waiting for their turn to speak. I'm not having a go at anyone, I do it as well, I did it this weekend, several times. It is not always in a selfish manner either, one can be so excited to see someone you want to tell them everything at once, as do they.

When I was showing my parents my photos of my study trip to Egypt I became acutely aware of this once again. How interested were they in this? Was I telling the story in a way in which they found interesting or relevant? My parents have both been to Egypt so I found the way to engage them was to note the differences between the trip I took with them and the trip I took with my university.

But such observances can be applied to real life, in conversation I find it often much better to just listen. I have had long conversation in which I have only asked questions for example and listened to the answers. I felt I learnt more about my friends and family by fogetting what I wanted to say or add to the conversation and listened to what they had to say.

But right speech can be expressed in all sorts of ways. Always saying thank you. Always asking people how they are, even if they don't ask you back. Always speaking the truth (far more complex than it sounds).

Take care,

Peat.