Twitterfeed

Friday, December 17, 2004

SCIENTISTS ESTIMATE BY THE YEAR 2100 THE POLAR BEAR WILL BE EXTINCT
THE NORTH POLE IS WARMING UP TWICE AS FAST AS THE REST OF THE WORLD
THE 'CHICKEN' SERVED IN KFC IS NOT BIOLOGICALLY CHICKEN

"You tell me that I make no difference,
At least I'm f**king trying!

What the f**k have you done?"
Minor Threat 'In my eyes'

Why is it, when I present facts like those above (Climate Change, the evils of corporations, etc) to people face to face they always laugh it off and make fun of me? They always pretend they don't care, that their life of near-hedonism compared to those starving in Africa is what they wanted all along.

I mean, I'm no saint, but at least I give a damn. At least I'm doing what I can at the moment. Which I admit isn't much compared to the true hard working people of say, Amnesty International.

Is it so wrong to care in this world? Is it so wrong to be a pacifist? Is it so wrong to want to better yourself?

Fiona once said to me: 'Do you ever think you are too nice?'
No, I don't. If anything I'm not nice enough. Not nice enough to satisfy me.

This has created a great imbalance within the social circles I keep. On the one hand I am ridiculed almost every day by my friends, on the other hand I am looked up to by others, or regarded as an equal, one of the gang, a true friend. This seems to make my mind swirl, I get irritated by the smallest things in the accepting friends yet take hours of abuse from the others. I'm having difficulty. I've given up arguing or trying to change opinions because what is the point? I'm outnumbered, I'm outgunned by a nihilistic, capitalist, thunderdrome.

Even my facts fall down because people just say something (which, although aren't their real words) 'They just don't care'. People switch off.

But what do I want? All my friends to be like me? Whiny, whinging leftie pacifists who crumble before the might of peer pressure? Am I really that nice a person anyway? I have not right to judge them, yet they are allowed to judge me, they are allowed to weight and measure my worth!

People perhaps see it as depressing, saddening that these things are happening. Yes it is, but I like to think that the world is worth fighting for. I am not resigned to giving in. But I can't do this alone.